In this blog post, I will explain the importance of a Sales Funnel and give you an over my shoulder look at how to set up your first funnel.
Setting up a Sales Funnel and opt-in form is critical to the success of your affiliate marketing business.
Why? Because this is how you receive subscribers to your email list. We have discussed the importance of building your email list in a previous blog post if you missed it, click here.
What is a Sales Funnel
A sales funnel is a description of the journey that a potential customer takes as they move toward the purchase of your product or service.
Everyone who has an online business needs to create a sales funnel in order to convert his website visitors into paying customers.
“The goal of your entire sale funnels and platform is to solve your customer’s problem. When you know the problem, and you build content to draw them in, then offer them a product or service to solve their problem, that’s when the real magic happens.” – R L Adams
Video version of this blog post:
Sales Funnel Phase 1 – Awareness
Prospects enter into your funnel via a free offer. Here are 10 opt-in incentives that are suggested by expresspigeon.com:
- ebook – not as popular now as they were in the past. Many ebooks stay on the hard drive and are never read. Due to this fact, fewer people will opt-in to your list for an ebook. But if you have a spectacular ebook give it a try.
- email course – Identify your course subject, create an email and opt-in form, set up your email sequence, promote your email course, A/B test different opt-in forms.
- run a contest or giveaway
- create an exclusive club for your email subscribers
- record an audio gift – so people can listen on the go, when they do not have the time to watch a video.
- offer a discount on a product or service.
- offer a free trial membership
- offer free product sample
- create a quick video for your subscribers
- recurring webinar – live video conference where you share a presentation or screencast with the audience. Record your webinar and replay each time someone opt-ins to your list.
Sales Funnel Phase 2 – build Know, Like, and Trust
Successful selling has become more relationship-oriented. People want to do business with someone that they know, like, and trust. Do this well, and you’ll convert prospective people into buyers. Building know, like and trust is done by providing answers to your audience’s most pressing questions or wants. Build the best resources that you can for your audience.
You can provide value through a combination of written content and video. The first thing is to determine what your target market would find of value. If you’re not giving your potential clients something they want, then they have no reason to read and watch.
That value can come in a few different ways. Provide content that is :
Inspiring or motivating
Include a Call-To-Action in all your content (blog post, landing pages/opt-in form, videos, etc.) Tell them what you want them to do, such as click a link to another blog post, begin a free trial, download a pdf, etc. Get your audience used to clicking on a link.
Sales Funnel Phase 3 – Send them to a pre-sale page
Rather than sending your prospect directly to a sales page – send them to a pre-sale page first. Another name for a pre-sales page is a bridge page.
What is a pre-sales page?
“A pre-sale is a landing page where you briefly introduce yourself and set your prospect up to buy by providing valuable information in a non “salesy” way.
Your pre-sale page is about the product and how it benefits your customer. Think of it as an appetizer to your main course – you want to give the prospect a taste, not the whole meal.” (a)
Include these elements on your pre-sale page:
- Briefly Introduce Yourself – Include a picture of yourself or better yet record a short video introducing yourself and the solution that your product provides.
- Product Image – the image should be clear, appealing, and large/
- Brief product description – the product description should be no more than 4 or 5 sentences. Start with a question or a short story, “I used to __________ but, now that I use ___________ I no longer have this problem and this will work for you too.”
- Highlight the customer benefits – Benefits tell why the customer needs the product. Figure out the most compelling benefits and laser focus on them. Examples: solves the problem, saves time, saves money, provides self-improvement, builds relationships, improves their lives.
- Cover the product features – Features tell the customer what the product is.
- Include a product video. Screen record yourself using the product.
- Give a Call-To-Action – create a button: buy now, get instant access, get on the product launch notification list, etc. Have the call-to-action button redirect them to the Product Sales Page.
Here is the Landing Page Builder that I use and recommend
Sales Funnel Phase 4 – Connect your funnel to your email management provider
There are hundreds of email management providers (commonly known as Autoresponder). Just to name a few: Aweber, Constant Contact, Mail Chimp, Convertkit, etc, But, here is the thing even though all of these companies have their own affiliate programs, none of them are friendly to an affiliate marketer.
Here is the problem: many of these companies will cancel your account the minute that they discover that you are an affiliate marketer and you intend to use email to promote affiliate offers. I know this from my own experience and know of other affiliate marketers who also have had their accounts shut down by these autoresponder companies.
Here is the solution: Use the autoresponder that is designed especially for affiliate marketers.
3 Must-Have Tools for affiliate marketing
The following tools used by all successful online marketers.
I own and use the following products and highly recommend that you invest in your business and purchase each.
These tools will save you hours of frustration and confusion.
Each of these tools provides user-friendly tutorials that teach you how to use them.
Domain Name – A domain name is essentially your website’s equivalent of a physical address. In the same way that a GPS needs a street address or a zipcode to provide directions, a web browser needs a domain name to direct you to a website.
Funnel Builder / Page Builder – software that takes a prospective customer through a conversion process that ultimately generates a sale.
Email Autoresponder – An autoresponder is a simple yet effective email marketing tool that allows you to send a series of scheduled follow-up emails to your prospects and customers.
Now is the time to take action!
Your sales funnel is a must-have in order to become a successful affiliate marketer.
Give a free value-packed digital download, collect prospect’s email, follow up via email using an autoresponder, build know, like, and trust in your emails by offering value and a call to action in each email.
Disclaimer: Some of these links go to one of my websites and some are affiliate links where I’ll earn a small commission if you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.